Friday 30 December 2011

RainbowVision Atari 2600 Games


This text is lifted / adapted warts and all from my original Australian Classic / Retro Video Game website found here now, resurrected for reference and enjoyment of all - I like the artwork too on most of them! Sadly, I no longer have these games, they were sold off many years ago. Today, I'm always keeping an eye out for them as would love to start again. I could get them from Ebay, but don't want to pay crazy collector prices, and it's a lot more fun finding them 'in the wild' I gotta say!
________________________________________________________________________

Hi, welcome to the Rainbow Vision Cart Archive.

Rainbow Vision carts were distributed only in Australia by the Rainbow Music group.

I'm not entirely sure of when Rainbow distributed these titles, but at a guess, I think it was the very early 80's. From my own info and  VGR's list, there seems to have been 20 titles in the series that was released, below is a table that outlines the known range. (The last 3 columns indicate if I own the game). If you are aware of the three oustanding titles, please let me know!!

Rainbow Vision carts are pirate rip-offs manufactured in Taiwan. For a laugh, I have included the "Game Descriptions" directly from the instruction manual for each game (if I have it), you'll find them next to the full size images. Somehow, somewhere, something was lost in the translations, and the resultant English is at times really bad - I have made sure that they were transcribed word for hilarious word....they're great!

The artwork isn't too bad on most of the carts, anyone know the source?

The following is a list of the carts I used to own:



Random Notes on Rainbow Vision Atari 2600 carts:
  • - Rarity - One thing I have found over the past couple of years from collecting carts, is that these titles are pretty rare. I don't have duplicates for any of these titles. :P
  • On the back of the boxes, it states "The home version of one of your favorite Arcade games"
  • Also stated is "A quality product from the Rainbow Music Group. Distributed in Australia by Rainbow Products Limited, Sydney Australia.
  • On the back of each cartridge are the initials S.S. (I think this stands for Star Soft?).
Atari 2600 Time Race by Rainbow Vision

Atari 2600 Galactic by Rainbow Vision

Atari 2600 Pac-Kong by Rainbow Vision


Atari 2600 Pyramid War by Rainbow Vision

Atari 2600 Tom Boy by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Netmaker by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Space Raid by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 The Year 1999 by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Bermuda by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Mafia by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Super Ferrari by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Bi! Bi! by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Catch Time by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Boom Bang by Rainbow Vision
Atari 2600 Curtiss by Rainbow Vision

No comments:

Post a Comment